It’s that bewitching time of year again, and Betsy Bunni has a great recipe for spooky witches’ fingers that are perfect for Halloween.
Let’s get baking!
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 45 blanched almonds, halved (see top tip)
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale. Add the egg and vanilla and whisk again.
- Sift in the flour and the baking powder and mix to form a soft dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 180C, gas 4. Divide the dough into 45 and roll each piece into a finger shape.
- Pinch the dough to make a finger shape and use the back of a knife to make the knuckles.
- Lightly press an almond to leave an indentation where the nail would be. Put on lined baking trays and chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until pale golden.
- Once cooled, place an almond on each nail bed (to make the fingers look even scarier, pop the almonds on top of a blob of strawberry jam and let it ooze out of the sides!).
Betsy Bunni’s top tip: If you can’t eat nuts, you can either paint the nail indentation with red food colouring or make a nail shape from fondant icing and place on top of a blob of strawberry jam.